Friday 16 December 2011

To The Shops...

So much for the horrendous weather we were threatened with promised.  This morning, woke up to a light dusting of snow up high, and a bright start to the day.
 The light highlighted this moss on a neighbour's window sill
More moss seen on our way walking down to town for breakfast and shopping.
Passed St Swithins Church on the way to Walcot Street, and was moved to share this poster...
We popped into Walcot Chapel to see the exhibition of work on - some interesting, fun and very skilful stuff on display.
 I was most taken by this "clock".
We still hadn't had breakfast by this stage, and I thought I was seeing things...
After a tasty tea cake and delicious cup of coffee, Su and I went our different ways for an hour or so. St Michael's Church looked very Gothic as I approached the Post Office - I should have known the queues would not be short...
Met up with Su at the Victoria Gallery, and saw this exhibition.  The theme was that we are all just animated bits of earth. Some sculptures were made of earth from different areas around Bath - giving a wide range of colours and textures. Some of it also reminded me of the Borg...
I thought this brass banister rail worthy of being considered as a sculptural piece in its own right.
After another pit stop, Su caught the bus home while I wandered round some more shops, ending up at the Apple store to buy a protective case for my trusty iPhone which I dropped this morning.  Luckily, it still works OK, although the case does have a couple of cracks.  Replacing the case would cost too much, so encasing it in an rubberised exo-skeleton is a cheaper solution! It also gave me an excuse to worship at pop in to one of my favourite places, even though it was besieged by school pupils, let out of school early today. Waiting for the bus home, the light over Bear Flat was eye-catching.
 Even more so at the top of the hill outside our house
Looking out over Little Solsbury glowing in the last rays of daylight...
We received a gift of gloves from Canadian friends, Guy & Wendy, yesterday.  I tried mine out this morning. They were toasty - almost too warm for our wimpy English cold.  Clearly we need some proper snow to appreciate their full potential:-)!
Off to Birmingham bright and early tomorrow to see Ben & Lena, so trust that our weather forecasts will continue to be more severe than the actual conditions!

No comments:

Post a Comment