Thursday 10 February 2011

On the picket line

Today lecturers at UWE are on strike after the vote last week. I went into Bristol with my colleague, Stephen, for a stint of picketing and leafletting at the main gate of the university. Loads of union members were there, along with a sizeable contingent of students in support as well as a reporter and cameraman from ITV West. On the lunchtime local news Stephen and I were both in shot. All the vehicles coming onto campus were offered a leaflet and a discussion about why we were striking, which slowed down traffic quite a bit at times, despite the cars that drove through very quickly with grim-faced drivers.


We got great support, including lots of tooting cars driving past, as well as students coming out with hot drinks and food, notably vegan brownies! The GPO van driver who came along would not cross the picket line, so turned around without delivering the mail. This was Stephen's first ever experience of being on a picket, and he felt really good about it as you can see!




The strike is about restructuring at UWE, which has affected me by abolishing my job, which I have written about before. Following my interview for a new job on Monday, I decided that I did not want to be part of the brave new UWE management regime after all - responsible for making fewer staff do more work with less resource. I have therefore finally made up my mind, withdrawn my application and am applying for voluntary severance. Assuming my application is approved (they will probably be glad to get rid of me!), I will leave UWE at the end of July. The possibility of living abroad gets much more real - watch this space :-)!


For now though, it's time to take Bella out into the continuing rain...


- Posted using BlogPress from Marcus' iPad

1 comment:

  1. You'll have to find Su another couple of jobs so she can support you ;0)

    ReplyDelete