Thursday 24 February 2011

A day of computers

Yesterday I took delivery of a new computer from work.  The story behind this is that, after my operation, the physio suggested  that lugging a laptop and bag etc. around may not be the best thing for my back health.  So I asked if I could l get an iPad (and keep the laptop as a base machine at home).  iPads are pretty light and good enough for what I do actually at work.  However, our Vice Chancellor in his wisdom has decreed from on high that no iPads may be bought.  So I asked for the next lightest option possible, which is what I've got - a nice shiny new MacBook Air.  The fact that it costs more than twice as much as the highest spec iPad I could have got seems to be neither here nor there. Universities, don't you just love them?!


So, last night involved getting all the data from my heavy laptop onto my light new one, a process that was finishing off this morning as I walked the dog in the park. We kept a respectful distance away from the swans, before I went into work, where I showed my new machine to my excellent technical support chum, Alan Price.


































The rest of the day floated on by- and here it is nearly 10 o'clock somehow! Time to go and make Su a cup of tea, methinks.

1 comment: