Wednesday 20 June 2012

Escape from UWE to Flowers

A hazy start to the day that gradually cleared - not quite the second day of Summer that the weather forecast had promised. This blossom shone out when I took Bella out for her morning walk.
I went in to UWE to pick up exam scripts from the students in Hong Kong (wet weather ahead - ideal for marking!). The weather had brightened up by the time I set off.
I remembered why I did not mind the drive to work on sunny days.
The leafy lane across Siston Common before the ring road.  Rather than my usual route, I took a risk and went onto the ring road, which was mercifully free of obstructions for a change.
The gatehouse to the University. Rather than try and get a parking token from there, I got Alan Price to swipe me through the N Block car park barrier - a lot easier and friendlier.
As well as Alan, I bumped into Martyn H (twice in one week!) and Stephen Allan, my old office buddy. Tales of woe past and more reorganisations ahead... Saw all these police officers sitting down for their lunch - don't know why there were so many of them there?
Some things at UWE never change - this poster from 16 years ago is stilon the wall of the corridor my office was on.
And the UCU poster I put on the office door has survived (as well as a poster about correct use of apostrophes alongside). Lots of change change coming - there is talk of putting all the Music Technology staff together in an open plan office. That should be fun when they all want to listen to different student assignments through speakers at the same time:-)!
I escaped before too long a stay in the hallowed halls (it helps that all their marking is finished, so it was very quiet). After a late lunch, I took Bella out for a longer walk through a muggy, cloudy afternoon. The nettle flowers are starting to open out nicely.
Spotted this unusual two-tone umbellifer by the side of the road on the way to Charlcombe church
Lovely colours on this cornflower in the churchyard garden.
An unusual headstone in the graveyard of the church.
Walking down through Charlcombe valley, I was again struck by the grasses. These heads outlined by pollen were stupendous.
Another wonderful grass head.
This dandelion is also quite impressive - not as big as the ones we saw on Symi last month, but just as beautiful.
This day a year ago, Su was looking ahead to our impending trip to Tuscany (I was too, but it was her turn for the blog post). She posted this picture of me "resting" after some strenuous shopping in Marks & Spencer.

No comments:

Post a Comment